ViaSat, Inc. Field Support & Integration Engineer in Dublin, Ireland
Location Dublin, Ireland
Job Title Field Support & Integration Engineer
Job Responsibilities ViaSat is in the business of connecting the world. As a global broadband services and technology company, we connect international communities to the internet by offering residential internet service; enabling passengers and operations crews to stream high-bandwidth media, applications and content when traveling globally on commercial, business or government aircraft and maritime vessels. We deliver and protect information – when and where it is needed most – with our trusted communications ground systems, infrastructure, and services.
ViaSat Ireland is one of the country’s most innovative, interesting and exciting technology companies. Based in Dublin city centre's Silicon Docks, beside Trinity College, Merrion Square, Government Buildings and quality transport hubs, we build scalable mobile apps and enterprise software for airlines. ViaSat Ireland is part of a fast-growing, global brand, which designs and launches satellites, delivering quality connectivity to people in the most challenging places - including at 30,000 feet!
We're growing exponentially, creating an immediate requirement for the best people, and significant opportunities for career growth. We work hard to exceed our clients' expectations, but we also like to have fun and make every team member feel valued. We offer an amazing benefits package, flexible start and finish times, an inclusive company culture, the opportunity for worldwide travel and a proactive corporate social responsibility policy that embraces diversity and personal growth. Sound like a good fit for you? We always love to hear from talented, enthusiastic people, so please click on the button for any of our openings and tell us why you rock. Thanks for considering ViaSat Ireland as your career choice.
WHAT WE NEED:
The Field Support & Integration Engineer, European Support Operations is a key member of ViaSat’s Commercial Airline Support team, which helps deliver and maintain ViaSat’s best-in-class “ViaSat In-Flight Connectivity” services to our European Commercial Airline customers.
The Field Support & Integration Engineer plays a critical part in the service launch of new customers, supporting system activations and over-the-air system checks for new installations of the ViaSat onboard In-Flight Connectivity (IFC) solution. The Field Support & Integration Engineer ensures that all work is carried out in accordance with ViaSat procedures and airline manuals, following EASA regulations.
Additional key responsibilities include providing training, on-site, and remote support to airline maintenance representatives during installation, activation and maintenance of ViaSat IFC equipment, including software loads and updates. This role works in collaboration with ViaSat’s airline partners to support and close the daily maintenance issues. Verbal and written interaction with airlines is frequent and must be delivered professionally.
The Field Support & Integration Engineer interfaces with internal and external stakeholders, and must be able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including engineering teams, program management, customers, and third party partners & suppliers.
This position requires contributing to shared knowledge, documentation, training of peers and other stakeholders, and may require travel to other ViaSat offices, customer locations, and airline maintenance locations up to 50%.
The ideal candidate will have a background in commercial aircraft systems, specifically electrical and avionics equipment troubleshooting and testing. The critical nature of the work requires good judgment, initiative and specialized technical expertise to understand problems and develop recommended solutions. This role must be comfortable working both as part of a global team, and independently as a remote resource. Prior experience working in a remote/virtual team is a plus.
Experience with hardware and software elements involved in IP networking and satellite communications is preferred. Familiarity with UNIX/LINUX configuration, and ability to capture and interpret network traces is a plus.
Key responsibilities are:
• Assist ViaSat’s customers with the planning and execution of maintenance, troubleshooting and repair efforts.
• Ensure complete and accurate documentation and records of all maintenance work performed on customer aircraft.
• Travel to customer maintenance locations on short notice to support troubleshooting and repair operations.
• Provide training to maintenance vendors and airline personnel on installation and maintenance of the ViaSat IFC solution.
• Ensure all required and preventative maintenance is performed in accordance with company, airline and EASA regulations.
• Establish and maintain working relationships with airline partners, and third-party maintenance personnel.
• Provide remote assistance to support diagnostic checks on ViaSat IFC equipment installed on customer aircraft.
• Provide a timely remote response and resolution to any service inquiry related to installation and maintenance.
• Ensure all install aids and equipment required to maintain the ViaSat IFC service is available and up to date.
• Assist Line Maintenance Manager in the development of improved maintenance and preventative maintenance of the ViaSat IFC solution.
- WHAT YOU NEED:
• 2+ years’ experience in IP networking
• A background in Avionics or experience working with Avionics personnel.
• Associate’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or other relevant discipline preferred
• Ability to interpret technical manuals and schematics including engineering items supporting the installation and repair of the ViaSat IFE system.
• Prior experience in a Technical Support or NOC role
• Prior experience working in a field support capacity
• Prior experience working with Linux/Unix
• Ability to work a flexible schedule in a 24x7 environment as needed to support round-the-clock operations
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present complex technical material to a variety of audience.
• Ability to travel up to 50%, including internationally.
Preferences • Either FAA, CAA or EASA certification for aircraft maintenance.
• Prior experience with RF Satellite or Wireless Communication systems
• Experience working as part of a virtual team with remote supervision
WHAT WE OFFER:
• A competitive compensation package which includes healthcare, vision, dental, life insurance, disability insurance, fitness reimbursement and much more.
• A dynamic work environment with smart colleagues
• A high degree of autonomy, flexibility and trust
** ViaSat is an EEO/AA/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer. U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence status may be required for certain positions. For positions requiring U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status, verification of such status will be required upon accepting employment.