Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisory Medical Administrative Specialist (Assistant Chief) in Bay Pines, Florida
About the Agency
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Bay Pines VAHCS is one of the nation's leading VA healthcare systems, employing more than 4,000 medical professionals and support staff dedicated to providing the very best care to Veterans residing in southwest Florida. The organization is the fourth busiest VA health care system in the country in terms of patients served and is accredited by The Joint Commission, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, and several other nationally recognized accrediting organizations. The Bay Pines VAHCS operates nine facilities to include the main medical center located in Bay Pines and outpatient clinics located in Bradenton, Cape Coral, Naples, Palm Harbor, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, St. Petersburg, and Sebring. To learn more, please visit www.baypines.va.gov or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vabaypines.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CHIEF, HEALTH ADMINISTRATION SERVICE (HAS) INCLUDE: To administer/manage a complex health administration and benefits program for over 105,000 Veterans throughout a 10-county geographical area. The Health Administration Service is the largest single service in the organization and is comprised of over 400 employees located throughout the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System. As such, Bay Pines VA Healthcare System is the 4th largest VHA facility in the US offering a wide array of health administration services and benefits to Veterans to include, but not limited to, the following major program areas:
Enrollment and Eligibility
Clinic Administration and Appointment Management
Patient Beneficiary Travel and Transportation
Management of Patient Information / Details
VA Choice and Care in the Community (CITC)
Supervisory Medical Administrative Specialist (Assistant Chief), Health Administration Service, has operational managerial/supervisory responsibility over the HAS. Shares in performing several very separate roles in the overall management of HAS and the health care delivery systems which includes but is not limited to:
- Serving as technical expert on such topics as the application of state and local laws regarding health care, or the eligibility provisions of the VA.
- Responsibility as a manager for dealing with personnel management matters within HAS.
- Contributing member of the budget process for the facility.
- Dealing with public and the media.
- Serving as an integral part of the management team of the facility.
- Utilizes resources in an appropriate and cost effective manner. Encourages team members to participate in cost savings. Team produces at least one cost savings initiative of significance during the rating period. Work schedule: 8:00AM-4:30 (Schedule may vary depending on need) Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not available Telework: Not available Virtual: This not a virtual position. Position Description Title/PD#: Supervisory Medical Administrative Specialist (Assistant Chief)/4340 Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
- Occasional Travel
- May be required to travel to outpatient clinics via Government vehicle.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current, Permanent Internal Agency Employees of VA
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this jo
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 08/18/2017.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-13 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-12. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note:Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
- Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-12 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: One or more years of experience with oversight of service level performance in Health Administration or a major Clinical Service. The applicable positions where this experience would be obtained is a Clinical Administrative Officer, Health Systems Specialist, Group Practice Manager, or a Section Chief or above in Health Administration Service You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position: Competency 1 - Ability to provide leadership, support,resources and education to administrative support staff in inpatient and outpatient clinics at multiple locations. Competency 2 - Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external groups/individuals to negotiate and achieve cooperation with clinical stakeholders who may have varying opinions and views. Competency 3 - Ability to design work processes and systems that are responsive to customers as well as use customer feedback to improve the quality and access to health care services. Competency 4 - Ability to generate new and innovative solutions to the complex and diverse nature of health administration issues by challenging assumptions and looking beyond the status quo and engaging staff. Competency 5 -Ability to communicate orally and in writing. Highly proficient knowledge of grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Workload is varied and the work is primarily sedentary but includes at least occasional visits by air or automobile, attendance at relevant VISN, national and professional meetings for presentations, education and training sessions. Some work will be performed in environments with noise and lifting requirements. Stress is a very big factor due to the enormous workload, responsibilities and constantly changing priorities. In some instances, encounters with patients and/or staff members can become intense, adding to the stress. This positions demands emotional stability as the candidate is deeply involved with many different issues.
What To Expect Next
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
Review our benefits
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476879400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-18
Salary: $85,816 to $111,560 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 13
Series: 0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: CAZH-10037787-17-MMM
Control number: 476879400